William C. "Bloody Bill" Anderson

Bloody Bill Anderson, Quantrill, Quantrell, Guerrillas, Raiders, Missouri, Texas, Civil War, William C. Anderson, Henry C. Fuller, Salt Creek, Brown County, Brownwood, Knights of the Golden Circle, mystery, KGC


view:  full / summary

Cole Younger & Lew Nichols Carnival in Brady, Texas in 1907!

Posted by Jay Longley on January 10, 2018 at 11:00 PM Comments comments (0)

Former Southern Guerrillas and outlaws Cole Younger and Frank James started their own Great Cole Younger and Frank James Historical Wild West show in 1903. They toured many parts of the country. Sometime between Cole Younger's release from a Minnesota prison, for his part in the botched Northfield Bank Robbery, he visited Brown County, Texas and met with William C. "Bloody Bill" Anderson at his Salt Creek farm. Cole Younger came away from that meeting convinced that Brown County's Bill Anderson was the one and only Bill Anderson of Quantrill's Guerrillas that he'd served with during the Civil War. According to several historical accounts, Cole's visit to the Anderson Farm was during a time when he was traveling with a "carnival". My research has shown that he worked with at least two touring shows or carnivals. One was his and Frank's Historical Wild West and the other was the Lew Nichols Carnival Show. Just tonight, I found a photo that documents Cole Younger's and the Lew NIchols Carnival's appearance in Brady, Texas on August 1, 1907 so that was probably about the same time the carnival and Cole Younger came to nearby Brownwood.

You can view the amazing photo in our Photos section in the Bill Anderson's Comrades album.

Bill Anderson Rode with Jesse James AFTER the War!

Posted by Jay Longley on December 28, 2017 at 1:25 AM Comments comments (0)

I nearly fell out of my chair as I was researching old newspapers tonight, looking for articles about "Bloody Bill" Anderson, and I read this article from the Manchester Democrat about Jesse James upon their announcement of the death of Jesse's step-father. Members who have been with our group for a long time will remember when I conversed with William C. "Bloody Bill" Anderson's granddaughter Berneice Perkins several times. She told me a lot about "Paw" Anderson which is what he was called by his family members. She was a very young girl when Bill Anderson died at Salt Creek in 1927 and she remembers the scene as he was laid out for viewing in his farmhouse. Berneice told me that "Paw robbed banks and trains with Jesse James after the War." If "Bloody Bill" robbed banks and trains with Jesse James after the War, that can only mean one thing - Bill Anderson was NOT killed in the ambush in October, 1864 at Orrick, Missouri. I've searched for years for confirmation of her statement and I finally found it in this long article tonight! Berneice passed away several years ago but I knew her when she and Bill's other late granddaughter Patsy Anderson were speaking to historical groups many years ago, trying to convince them of the truth about their grandfather. They have been vindicated now. The article begins at the top of the 4th column and the part about Bill Anderson being a member of the gang is in the 5th column under the stage coach drawing.


You may have to copy and paste the above link into your address bar to read the article.

Jay Longley

Seeking Apprentice History Researcher/KGC Treasure Hunter

Posted by Jay Longley on July 23, 2017 at 7:15 PM Comments comments (4)

I'm glad that the History Channel is still occasionally re-airing the "America Unearthed" episode "Lincoln's Secret Assassins" occasionally even though the AU show was cancelled after 3 seasons when their H2 Channel was discontinued. I wasn't paid to appear on the episode but I recently turned down a paid position with a California film production company who planned to create an entire series about the Knights of the Golden Circle and their role in the Assassination of President Lincoln. I turned their generous offer down for several reasons but the main one was that it would have interfered with my own plans regarding the KGC this fall and winter. Those plans are also the reason that I'm currently searching for a History Research/KGC Treasure Hunting apprentice. I need to find someone local (Brown County, Texas) to assist me in continuing the work that my late partner Colin Eby and I began 12 years ago. There's a hell of a lot to teach an apprentice before I know that I can fully trust them with valuable confidential information that led Colin and I to locate 3 probable KGC Treasure Depositories in Central Texas that I believe hold billions of dollars of gold (at today's market value) and priceless historical and religious artifacts. Once my apprentice is "up to snuff" with his training and when he's proven to be trustworthy, then he will become a partner in the search and recovery efforts and share in any treasure recoveries we make.

Jay Longley

Brownwood, Texas

[email protected]

Pot of Gold at Yancey Inn - "Bloody Bill" Anderson's Gold?

Posted by Jay Longley on July 18, 2017 at 2:10 AM Comments comments (1)

I ran across this story while researching William C. "Bloody Bill" Anderson recently.  Today, the value of the gold coins found in 1912 would be at least $600,000 in gold value alone.  That's using the minimum estimated value ($10,000) of it in 1912 and isn't counting the coins' numismatic value so it's safe to say that the value of those coins today would be well in excess of a million dollars and that's a very conservative estimate.  Bill Anderson was a member of the Knights of the Golden Circle. 



Pot of Gold at Yancey Inn.

This is from the Higbee [Randolph County, Mo] News

of 13 Sep 1912 under the headline, "FINDS BURIED LOOT":

Farm Hand Discovers Can of Gold in Missouri--Wycke Patterson Flees With

Fortune Secreted by Civil War Bandit--Refuses to Tell Amount--May Share With

His Employer--Liberty, Mo--

One stroke of the pick made Wycke Patterson, a farm hand, rich beyond his fondest expectations when he struck a pot of gold concealed in the wall of an old building which he was helping to raze on the farm of his employer near Huntsville, [Randolph County], Mo. A notice of the discovery of the treasure was received here by C. E. [Charles Edwin] Yancey, owner of the place. How the farm hand's quick wit enabled him to make away with the thousands in gold before the eyes of seven helpers was told in the message. The old building, used before the Civil war as an Inn, had long been an eyesore on the big mule ranch owned by the Yancey family. A force of workmen under the direction of Patterson began tearing down the ruins last week. After removing a stone casing in the second story, Patterson struck something that gave out a sharp metallic sound. Two white laborers and five negroes crowded about him as he dug into the masonry and found a sealed pot. One blow knocked off the lid and the group gazed upon the vessel filled with gold pieces. Jaws dropped and eyes opened. "Good Lawd, we'se all struck it rich," said one negro. "What'll we--" But Patterson had his presence of mind. He seized the treasure pot and darted down the steps and out of the door. By the time his companions had recovered and followed, he was out of sight. Through Saturday night and Sunday the farm hand guarded the pot of gold. Not even his wife was permitted to know how much it contained. "If Yancey don't know how much is in it, he won't know how much to sue for," said Patterson. Monday morning a man walked into the Bank of Yates, a small town near the Yancey ranch. He carried a heavy package under his coat. After recovering from his surprise, W. H. Stark, the cashier, counted out the thousands in gold coin. Much of it was in Mexican money of 1831. How much the total was had not been given out by the finder or the banker. That it exceeds $10,000 has been admitted. That it might run as high as $30,000 or $40,000 has been reported. Although the law gives the treasure to the owner of the property, Yancey said he was willing to divide with the finder. The two men probably will divide the sum equally. The theory that Bill Anderson, a noted desperado of the Civil war period, hid the treasure while stopping at the place when it was used as an inn, has been advanced. Anderson spent the night at the inn two nights after banks at Huntsville and other towns had been robbed of 30,000 or $40,000 [in 1864]. He was killed near Orrick, Mo, a day or two later by Confederate bushwhackers.


1882 Newspaper Article "A Bad Lot"

Posted by Jay Longley on June 6, 2016 at 6:35 PM Comments comments (0)

The Moderator of our Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery group on Yahoo, Gayla McDowell, sent me this link to an old newspaper from 1882, right after Jesse James was wrongly alleged to have been killed by Bob Ford. Click on the link to open the newspaper page, click on the + icon to enlarge the page so you can read it, and then find the red highlighted area to find the article entitled "A Bad Lot" at the top of the page. Here are my thoughts on the author's mention of "Bloody Bill" Anderson and his brother Jim.


I think the author was a bit confused on his dates in regard to Bill Anderson. The Richmond bank robbery took place on May 23, 1867 and the Liberty bank robbery was on Feb. 13, 1866. Of course it's possible that Bill Anderson did "rob banks and trains with Jesse James", as his granddaughter Berniece Perkins told me he had, and maybe since the newspaperman didn't know how to make the dates match up with the traditionalist myth of his death, just threw in the "killed near Richmond" line, without elaborating, because he didn't know what really happened to Anderson.

I also found the lines about Jim Anderson being shot by "officers of the Lone Star State" interesting because it doesn't match up with the traditionalist lies that he was killed on "the courthouse square in Sherman" or their other one that he was killed "on the Capitol lawn at Austin". It does match up with my theory that the Jim Anderson, who was riding with John Wesley Hardin when he killed Brown County Deputy Charlie Webb in Comanche, Texas and who was hunted down by a posse and killed near the Leon River (a few miles outside of Comanche), was William C. "Bloody Bill" Anderson's brother Jim Anderson, the Guerrilla.



Family of Brownwood's Mysterious Henry Ford?

Posted by Jay Longley on June 2, 2016 at 11:10 PM Comments comments (0)

I just posted this on our Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery group's message board. Probably the greatest unsolved mystery of the town of Brownwood, Texas is the question "who was Brownwood's Henry Ford?" Many old-timers thought he was the outlaw Jesse Woodson James because Jesse and Frank James's mother Zerelda Samuel was seen at Ford's funeral in Brownwood in 1910 and Frank James spoke to the crowd at the funeral, warning them that if they "put a marker on Henry Ford's grave, I will return and blow it to Kingdom Come".


Several years ago, when I was searching for answers to the many mysteries surrounding Brownwood's Henry Ford, I briefly looked into the possibility that his outlaw & KGC connections were because he was somehow related to John Thomson Ford who was the owner of Ford's Theater where President Lincoln was assassinated in April, 1865. As a result of our rekindled interest in these mysteries, I decided to take another look into the biographical information of John T. Ford last night and I found several interesting things in his Wikipedia biography.

The first thing that caught my eye was the fact that he spent much of his younger years in Richmond, Virginia working first for his uncle as a clerk in his tobacco factory and then as a bookseller. Oddly enough, our Henry Ford's death certificate states that Henry was born in Richmond, Virginia. Could it be that our Henry Ford was the son (although he is not listed as being one of them in the article) of John T. or maybe a nephew who was the son of one of John T. Ford's brothers who lived in Richmond?

Then I read farther into the bio and learned that John T. was "a good friend of Lincoln's assassin John Wilkes Booth" (who I believe spent the year of 1871 in Brownwood) and that John T. and his two brothers were arrested for suspicion in the assassination and thrown into prison for over a month.

The third part that struck me was that John T. Ford's funeral was officiated by two Presbyterian clergymen of Baltimore. If you read my recent messages, you know that both Henry Ford and Jesse Woodson James were Presbyterians.

I think that we could very well be getting close to discovering exactly who Brownwood's Henry Ford really was so I encourage all members to get involved in this research and add your findings, opinions, and thoughts to our conversation.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_T._Ford ;

Jury Duty for "Bloody Bill" Anderson in Brownwood, Texas

Posted by Jay Longley on March 31, 2016 at 6:45 PM Comments comments (0)

From: Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery group on Yahoo.

It seems that the famous William C. Anderson 1924 interview with

newspaperman, Henry C. Fuller, was given to several newspapers across the country. Some just printed the basic interview and left out certain passages in an effort to censor the whole story as told by Brown County Bill. I am going to type the following excerpt from the "San Antonio Express" version of the Fuller article from August 24, 1924. This part was probably kept out of the Brownwood paper because of its reference to drinking.


"...Uncle Bill Anderson is fond of telling jokes and tells many on himself. Years ago when Brownwood was 'wet' he came to town one day and was summoned to sit on the jury on a case in justice court. He went to the courtroom, which was crowded and after sitting there a long time and no case being called, whispered to a man who sat near and said:

'I have to step out a few minutes. If my name is called you answer for me; take my place and hold it until I get back.'

Knowing Bill Anderson, the man answered that he would do so, and Anderson left the courtroom. Presently the case was called and as the list of jurors was announced and called one by one, the man got up and walked around and took a seat in place of Bill Anderson, who had stepped out. Anderson on getting out of doors ran into a bunch of convival spirits who steered him to a saloon, where, after taking a drink or so and telling a few jokes, time passed on velvet wings, the case at the courthouse being entirely forgotten. Two hours later Anderson suddenly recalled that he had been summoned to sit on the jury and hastily made his way to the courthouse, and was told as he met the crowd coming out that the man had been tried and found not guilty, nobody being the wiser by the substitution of another man in his place...."


It seems that our Bill Anderson had a way of being mis-identified

throughout his life.



Hypocrisy of Traditionalist Historians & Authors

Posted by Jay Longley on December 17, 2015 at 8:10 PM Comments comments (0)

I originally posted this very important message on our Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery group's message board in August, 2008. I urge all members to read or re-read it now as it's just as relevant and important now as it was when I posted it.




Centralia, Missouri, September, 1864 !


From: "Quantrill In Texas The Forgotten Campaign" by Paul R.

Petersen, Published by Cumberland House Publishing, Copyright 2007,

pages 199, 200, and 201.


I urge all members to carefully read this passage as this excerpt is

where Paul Petersen defies all logic and starts to get in trouble in

his telling of the Bill Anderson story. We have already discussed

how Petersen went all through this book without using a middle

initial in the Guerrilla leader's name. I have also told our members

how Mr. Petersen began advertising his new book in 2006 on the

Missouri in the Civil War Message Board during the time when we were

revealing new facts about Bloody Bill Anderson. For this or some

other reason, the book's publishing was delayed until 2007 and, when

it appeared, it was clear that Petersen had finally broken the trend,

set in the early 1990s, where every writer who wrote books about

Bloody Bill Anderson referred to him as "William T. Anderson". He

needs to be confronted on this question until he is forced to give a

honest answer.

Now, in this excerpt, you will see that Paul Petersen uses J. Frank

Dalton as his primary source about the historically important events

at Centralia, Missouri in September, 1864, almost a month to the day

before the traditionalists, including Petersen, claimed that Bloody

Bill Anderson was killed in a Yankee ambush. This is the same J.

Frank Dalton who visited Colonel William C. Anderson on many

documented occasions in Brown County following the War and who

identified William C. Anderson as being the "Bloody Bill" Anderson he

had served under DURING the War many times. If Paul Petersen felt

that J. Frank Dalton's word was good about what happened at

Centralia, why wasn't his word good when he declared that William C.

Anderson of Brown County, Texas was the man in charge of these

historic events at Centralia? This is another question that needs to

be posed to Paul R. Petersen until he is tired of hearing it. He

should also be asked to provide the name of a single former Guerrilla

who ever said that Colonel William C. Anderson was NOT Bloody Bill

Anderson. Of course, he can't provide any. Now, on with the story

as it was written by Paul Petersen.




"Fifteen-year-old J. Frank Dalton rode with Anderson too and offered

this account: `Fighting under Captain Bill Anderson, he had captured

a passenger train and got a lot of money, most of which was being

sent South to pay the Union troops. On the train were thirty-four

Union soldiers who were being sent South to join the Union army. As

the soldiers showed fight when we ordered them to leave the train, we

had to dispose of them. The Yankee troops saw us and lined up to

give battle.'

One guerrilla recognized a Federal soldier who had testified against

him in court. The soldier was dragged from the train and shot.

The rest of the soldiers surrendered and were taken from the train,

lined up alongside the station, and questioned by Anderson. Recent

atrocities against captured guerrillas played a role in what happened

next, especially since some of Anderson's best men had been shot and

then scalped by Federals in Howard County. He recounted this story

for the soldiers in front of him: `You Federals have just killed six

of my men, scalped them, and left them on the prairie. I will show

you that I can kill men with as much skill and rapidity as anybody.

From this time on I ask no quarter and give none.' He added, `You

are Federals, and Federals scalped my men, and carry their scalps at

their saddle bows. I have never allowed my men to do such things.'

Sgt. Thomas Goodman was called out of line and spared for an exchange

for one of Anderson's recently captured men. The sixteen militiamen

from Mexico were taken off the train, and they were stood up

alongside the others and shot. Their bodies were shipped back to

Mexico for burial; one of them was buried in Alex Bomar's wedding

suit, which had been earlier stolen.

After Anderson returned to camp, he told Todd what happened in town.

By midafternoon, the guerrillas learned that Federal troops had

mounted a pursuit. These Union soldiers had ridden hard for

Centralia as soon as they saw smoke rising from town. Maj. A.V.E.

Johnson and 150 men of the Thirty-ninth Missouri Militia had been in

pursuit of the guerrillas since learning of the attack on Fayette.

As soon as Johnson viewed the scene at Centralia, he hoisted a black

flag at the head of his column and started toward the guerrilla camp,

leaving only a handful of men behind to guard the town.

Todd saw Johnson coming, and with ten men he rode out to ascertain

the Federals' strength. The odds appeared favorable to him, so he

left a squad to lure Johnson into a trap and rode back to form his

remaining men into a battle line.

When Johnson saw a line of guerrillas facing him five hundred yards

away, he approached within effective rifle range. At two hundred

yards, the Federal commander dismounted his men to fight on foot;

this single act ensured their destruction. The Federals formed a

line, with every fourth man holding the horses for the rest. They

were spread out almost a quarter mile; the guerrillas covered

slightly more ground.

Todd called out the order to advance, and the guerrillas started off

at a slow walk; men and horses instinctively knew what would be

expected in the next few minutes. When the distance between them

closed to a little more than a hundred yards, Johnson's men fired a

volley. Most of the rounds went over the guerrillas' heads, but Sam

Shepherd and Dick Kinney were killed. The guerrillas responded with

a volley from their carbines then flipped the weapons across their

shoulders, drew their revolvers, and spurred their horses into a

run. At the sight of hundreds of heavily armed guerrillas, many of

Johnson's men broke and ran. Those Federals left in line frantically

tried to reload as the guerrillas charged them, their deadly pistol

fire wiping out all resistance. One soldier tried to bayonet Todd,

but he only managed to thrust the cold steel through the back of the

guerrilla leader's saddle; Frank Smith shot the soldier as he rode by.

Whatsoever soldiers were not shot were knocked off their feet by a

solid wall of horseflesh. The guerrillas quickly wheeled their

mounts for another pass, but Johnson's opposition was soon ended.

Smoke hung heavily in the air. Wounded horses ran frantically around

the countryside. David Poole dismounted and counted 123 Federal

dead. Several more were shot from their saddles while trying to

escape back to town.

J. Frank Dalton noted that Jesse James carried a watch and had timed

the fight. The battle lasted exactly five minutes.

After the battle, the guerrillas withdrew toward Boonville. When

word of the battle reached the Union headquarters, more than six

hundred cavalrymen were dispatched to find and destroy the guerrillas.

Todd's men continued west toward Lafayette County. Because the

guerrillas still wore Federal uniforms they were able to ride up to

the Union patrols and wipe them out at close range. On one occasion,

two of Poole's men acted as advance scouts and came running back to

the main body with an entire Federal company in pursuit. Todd

naturally ordered a charge, and Frank Smith claimed that the

guerrillas killed thirty to forty Federals in the ensuing fight.

Only those able to outrun the guerrillas survived.

After Quantrill's return to his hideout in Howard County, some

neighboring Putnam County militia rode into nearby Glasgow and began

stealing, shooting, and burning. When they continued to move south,

they discovered Quantrill's camp near Boonsboro and made a quick

charge. Quantrill barely had time to launch himself into the saddle

and take up James Little, still recuperating from his wounds from

Fayette, behind him and fall back behind John Barker and five other

of his veterans, who withdrew fighting, holding their own for

fourteen miles. They were forced to move their camp until they

received news of Sterling Price's return to Missouri."



"Bloody Bill" Anderson was a College Man

Posted by Jay Longley on November 29, 2015 at 6:55 PM Comments comments (0)

Pay special attention to where Mr. Hance refers to Bill Anderson as having been a college chum of Sim Oliver in the passage below.

One specific quote about "Bloody Bill" Anderson, in my earlier post below, keeps popping into my head every time I look at the inscription underneath the photo/postcard of William C. Anderson (in Photos section) at Salt Creek. The photo's inscription reads that Anderson was "originally from Lexington, Missouri. I'd sure like to know which college Bill Anderson had attended "prior to the war" as I have a feeling that it was located in Lexington. Today, I looked into that possibility and I found one college (The Masonic College for children of Masons) that could have been the right one. It ceased operation in 1857 when Bill Anderson would have been about 17 years old but students often attended college at a younger age than they do now. And we know that "Bloody Bill" Anderson's father of the same name (William C. Anderson) was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) so Bill would have qualified to be a student there. You'll also notice that the famous Oliver Anderson House was only 400 yards from The Masonic College.


From: "Reminiscences of one who suffered in the lost cause" by

Charles Hewitt Hance, published 1915, page 17. I urge our members to

read this passage very carefully as it gives some names that

definitely need to be thoroughly researched.




"...Then mounting their steeds they galloped off to a telegraph wire

and pulled it down and cut it. I soon learned that instead of these

being Jennison's Jayhawkers, they were the notorious Bill Anderson's

Guerillas, with Bill in command. After cutting the wire, they

scattered; some came into the store and began taking things, in most

cases not offering to pay for them. I remember distictly one

instance that a man paid me for an article that he got, and another

fellow rolled over the counter and took the money that I had just

received and deliberately put it into his pocket. Just about this

stage of the game, I was ordered to open the safe. Fortunately there

was only a small amount of currency and about twenty-five or thirty

dollars in gold there, as I had taken out fifteen hundred dollars the

day before and had hidden it under the counter in some rubbish, and

left this small amount in the safe as a blind. (My partner and I had

agreed that the safe was the least safe of all places.)

Sim Oliver and Bill Anderson had been college chums prior to the war,

and when I told Sim of being robbed, he went to see Anderson at once,

and told him that they had robbed a one-armed Confederate. About

this time there was a trumpet call and the men were immediately in

their saddles. Anderson was mounted on a beautiful black horse..."




You won't find any of this in the accounts about Bloody Bill Anderson

in the traditionalist historians' writings. :)





Bullets they wrongly claim killed "Bloody Bill"

Posted by Jay Longley on May 8, 2015 at 7:25 PM Comments comments (0)

Several years ago, I did a comparison of the many traditionalist accounts of the locations of and number of gunshot wounds they erroneously claim killed "Bloody Bill" Anderson during the ambush near Orrick, Missouri in late October, 1864. I'm re-posting the message where I detailed several of the accounts. I'm also adding a photo I just found that says it was taken of Bill Anderson's grave (at Richmond?) soon after 1900. Our group has long-called for an exhumation of this grave because we believe it would prove that "Bloody Bill" Anderson's body is not in it. I'm also attaching a photo of the gravestone that traditionalist Donald Hale and his father placed on the Richmond grave in 1969. [Members can view these photos in this website's Photos section]











Gunshots they claim killed Bloody Bill


One of the most disturbing aspects about the way the Bloody Bill Anderson story has been presented by historians and writers for over 140 years, has been the many contradictory accounts of both the number of gunshots and the location of gunshot wounds these writers claim killed Bloody Bill Anderson in the ambush near Orrick, Missouri on October 26th or 27th depending on which story you believe. Going back through my notes on this event, I came across over a dozen different and contradictory stories of both the number of gunshots this guerrilla was said to have taken and their location on the body. The contradictions are quite obvious and the differences are as numerous as the writers who told about these very important gunshots. If one accepts that Bloody Bill Anderson was killed in this ambush, which I don't, then it must be amply certain that only one of these reports can possibly be the true account. I will give you all just a sampling of these accounts and will leave it up to those who have written and published these opposing versions to explain their positions and give their sources.



The following article was written, on October 8, 1989, by Lorene

Bishop who was a writer for the Brownwood Bulletin and President of

the Brown County Historical Society. Lorene Bishop, as almost every reputable Brown County historian believed firmly that Bloody Bill Anderson lived out his life in Brown County, Texas until his death in 1927. I am posting only the portion of Bishop's book that deals with the ambush below as told by James S. Hackley:


"... The existence of the Bill Anderson of Texas that became known to

Missourians in 1924 when a short article about him appeared in The

Houston Post and was copied in Missouri papers. At once Colonel

James S. Hackley, an early settler of Mobeby Missouri present his

knowledge of the facts preceeding the slaying. His story indicates

that the guerrilla's body was identified by his, Hackley's mother, a

cousin of the slain Confederate irregular...

Four weeks later we drove to Richmond to my mother's brother. When

my uncle came out to greet my mother, a boy ran up and said that Bill

Anderson had been killed and his body was at Tice's gallery.

We went to Tice's gallery. When my mother saw the blood on

Anderson's face, and his clotted hair, she pleaded that the picture

not be taken until she had washed his face and combed his hair. Her

plea was refused by Captain Cox, who was present and claimed to have

killed Anderson.

Anderson was buried in Richmond. The bullet that ended his life

struck him in the back of his head and came out through his

forehead.' "


(This account says ONE bullet "struck him in the back of the head and came out through his forehead.")



This next account is from the War of the Rebellion Records and comes from no other that Lt. Colonel S.P. Cox himself.


"Report of Lieut. Col. Samuel P. Cox, Thirty-third Infanty Enrolled

Missouri Militia.

Richmond, Mo., October 27, 1864.


DEAR SIR: We have the honor to report the result of our expedition on

yesterday against the notorious bushwhacker, William T. Anderson and

his forces, near Albany, in the soutwest corner of this county (Ray).

Learning his whereabouts we struck camp on yesterday morning

and made a forced march and came in contact with their pickets about

a mile this side of Albany; drove them in and through Albany and into

the woods beyond. We dismounted our men in the town, threw our

infantry force into the woods beyond, sending a cavalry advance who

engaged the enemy and fell back, when Anderson and his fiendish gang,

about 300 strong, raised the Indian yell and came in full speed upon

our lines, shooting and yelling as they came. Our lines held their

position without a break.The notorious bushwhacker, Anderson, and one

of his men, supposed to be Captain Rains, son of General Rains,

charged through our lines. Anderson was killed and fell some fifty

steps in our rear, receiving two balls in the side of the head. Rains

made his escape and their forces retreated in full speed, being

completely routed; our cavalry pursued them some ten miles, finding

the road strewn with blood for miles. We hear of them scattered in

various directions, some considerable force of them making thier way

toward Richfield, in Clay County. We capured on Anderson private

papers and orders from General Price that identify him beyond a doubt.

I have the honor to report that my officers and me conducted

themselves well and fought bravely on the field. We had 4 men

wounded; lost none. The forces of my command consisted of a portion

of Major Grimes, of Ray County, Fifty first Regiment Enrolled

Missouri Militia, and a portion of the Thirty-Third Enrolled Missouri

Militia, from Daviess and Caldwell Counties.


Respectfully yours,



Lieut. Col., Comdg. Thirty-third Regt. Enrolled Missouri




(This one claims Anderson was hit with "two balls in the side of the head." Quite a feat of markmanship I would say.)



The next is from a message by one of the members of our Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery group, Laura Anderson Way, in which she quotes Paul Petersen.


"The following is from the book "Quantrill of Missouri" by Paul Petersen, page 392 and 393."


"In late October, in Ray County, Anderson saw the report that Price had been defeated and that George Todd had been killed. On October 24 he determined to punish the Federals for the Southern defeat at Westport."


"Harrison Trow recalled that William Smith, a veteran guerrilla with four years' experience, rode next to Anderson. Trow claimed that five bullets struck Smith and three struck Anderson, and at the end of the fight, both men were dead."


(Here Trow is quoted as saying "three (bullets) struck Anderson. Another strange fact is that, while this report claims William Smith was killed in this ambush, Smith's name appears nowhere on the monument erected to the guerrillas killed that day.)



From: http://www.history.com/tdih.do?action=tdihArticleYear&id=2366


"...Anderson went to Texas that winter, got married, and returned to

Missouri in 1864 with a band of about 50 fighters. Anderson embarked

on a summer of violence, leading his group on a campaign that killed

hundreds and caused extensive damage. The climax came on September 27

when Anderson's gang joined with several others to pillage the town

of Centralia, Missouri. When more than 100 Union soldiers pursued

them, the guerillas ambushed and massacred the entire detachment.

Just a month later, Anderson's band was caught in a Union ambush

outside of Albany, Missouri, and Anderson was killed by two bullets

to his head. The body of the "blood-drenched savage," as he became

known in the area, was placed on public display. Anderson kept a rope

to record his killings, and there were 54 knots in it at the time of

his death..."





http://www.bullshido.net/modules. php?

name=Reviews& file=viewarticle &id=291


Adult language is used on that site.


"...After completely decimating the town, he moved his men to the

south of town and set up an ambush for 150 Union Calvary men moving

in after him. They killed 116 of them. They shot them through the

head, then scalped them and thrust them with bayonets. They even

chopped of ears and noses.


On October 27th 1864, Anderson was ambushed by Captain S.P.Cox and

his Union troops. He and one other man charged the line guns blazing.

His horse was shot and he bit the dust, he was then shot in the back

of the head 2 times. His body was taken to Richmond, Missouri where

they decapitated his corpse and stuck his head on a telegraph pole.

His body was then dragged through the streets and dumped in an

unmarked grave.


Bloody Bill was passionate, angry and ruthless ~ described by Jim

Cummins as "The most desperate man I ever met." "


(This one seems to be saying Anderson's horse "bit the dust" and then Anderson was executed with two shots in the back of the head.)






"While leading his guerilla band near Orrick, Missouri on October

27th 1864, Anderson was ambushed by Captain S.P.Cox and his Union

troops. Anderson was caught completely unaware and was riddled with

bullets then left for dead in his saddle. His loyal followers put up

a fight to try and recover Anderson's corpse, but they were driven

back by superior firepower.


Anderson's body was taken to Richmond, Missouri where it was propped

up in a chair and a pistol was placed in the dead man's hand then

photographs were taken. A short while later, the Union troopers, full

of loathing for the dead man, decapitated Anderson and impaled his

head on a telegraph pole at the entrance to the town as a signature

to all that the infamous killer was indeed dead. Anderson's torso was

roped and tied to a horse then dragged along the streets of Richmond

before being dumped in an unmarked grave outside of town."


(This is just one of many accounts that claim that Bill Anderson's body was "riddled with bullets".)




Carl W. Breihan tells the story a little different in his account from page 78 of his "Killer Legions of Quantrill", 1971, by saying the following:


"...Anderson was the first to fall, his body caught in a crossfire and riddled as he toppled from the saddle..."




If it weren't for the seriousness of this historical event, all of these different and contradictory accounts would be laughable. To say the least, EVERY writer who has made money selling books containing a version of this ambush story owes the American public an explanation for writing whatever tale he/she chose to tell in the book(s), regarding the way they claim Bloody Bill Anderson was killed that day. They should step forward and give their sources for this misinformation.

Thank you,